Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 20, 2014

It's My Life?

With all the hype surrounding the story of Brittany Maynard, an Oregon cancer patient who chose to end her life on November 1st with a lethal dose of sedative, the issue of legalized suicide has been thrust into the limelight.  I have an extremely strong opinion on this matter, but my personal thoughts are not in question.  The issue of suicide, government-sanctioned or otherwise deserves serious consideration.  With this in mind, what does the Bible have to say about suicide?

The most obvious question is “Does suicide break God's law?”  To my mind, the answer to this question is clear.  Exodus 20:13, “You shall not murder.”  As it is defined as the murder of oneself, God clearly does not condone suicide.

One might counter this command with a statement like this: “It's my life shouldn't I have the right to end it?”  Is it, I wonder actually your life?  You and I, like every other human, were brought to life through no action of our own; you didn't bring your life into existence, didn't earn it, didn't ask for it and cannot replace it.  Based on these criteria, I would suggest that “your life” does not actually belong to you.

Let me use a crude example.  Your life is a bit like a borrowed car.  Imagine that you borrow a friends car.  You use it as if it were yours; ideally, you put fuel in it, you take care of it as if it were yours.  You do not by any means have the right to sell it.  Your friend would be understandably upset if you carelessly wreck the car.  If you willfully destroy it, you could be criminally liable for the damages.

We cannot do anything about growing old and eventually dying.  We have limited power against disease and accidental death, but we can only delay our death at best.  The Bible sums up the way we should treat our bodies in 1st Corinthians 6:19-20 when it says this: “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

I can see two reasons someone could choose to end their own life.  In the case of Brittany Maynard, she wanted to avoid the pain that her condition would cause her and her family as her terminal cancer proceeded.  Far more commonly, a person will commit suicide during a time of depression.  If either of these situations describes you, I understand how you feel.  I have a severe disability myself, and I have dealt with depression.  I have felt the temptation to end my own life.  I have gone so far as aiming a loaded gun at myself during a particularly dark time.  By the grace of God, and with the support of my family and friends, I made it through.

Now, to the most difficult part of this entry.  I had originally intended to complete this entry in November.  I was working on this post late in the night on November 19.  I intended to finish it the next day, but as some of you know, my brother-in-law committed suicide on November 20.  Out of sensitivity to my wife, I chose to delay this entry.

I find myself wishing I would have finished the entry on that night; maybe, just maybe, he would have read it and changed his mind.  Now, I will never know.  If you are considering suicide, I urge you to find another answer.  No matter how bad you think things are, there is hope.  No matter who you are and what your situation is, someone other than you will be hurt by your choice.  Maybe you don't have any family or friends.  Maybe there is no one who will miss you.  In that case, consider the police officer who will find your body.  Think of the paramedics who have dedicated their lives to saving others.  Think of the coroner and detectives who will be forced to investigate the circumstances of your untimely death.  All these people that you don't even know will lose just a bit of hope.

Finally, to the last part.  What if a friend or family member has killed themselves?  Some people will tell you that God cannot forgive this person.  From my understanding of the Bible, there is no reason to believe this.  The only death that is truly eternally significant, from the Biblical perspective, is the death of Christ.  In Hebrews 10:5-18, the writer unequivocally states that by this one sacrifice, “He has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

If your friend or family member was seeking Christ, they will not be turned away.  If they were not, let me encourage you with these verses:

He is the Rock, His works are perfect, and all His ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is He.
Deuteronomy 32:4

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead, he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

You can trust that God will always make the right decision.  He is the only one who knows all the facts, including the thoughts, attitudes, and desires of your loved one.  You can confidently leave your loved one in His hands; I urge you to put yourself there as well, as I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment